To Calm The Stress
The use of relaxation techniques helps to manage stress by turning on the
– your body’s own natural tranquilizer. It is the ultimate weapon to balance the wired-exhaustion of burnout and restore the calm for self-renewal.
Herbert Benson M.D., a cardiologist and associate professor of medicine at Harvard Medical School first coined the term, and developed a simple method called the
Meditation Relaxation Technique.
It's important you realize that every action, thought and emotion - especially stress, uses energy. It’s the fuel that keeps you going! And to build up your energy supply, your mind and body both require periods of this unique type of rest.
”True silence is the rest of the mind; it is to the spirit what sleep is to the body, nourishment and refreshment”
~ William Penn
fight or flight response
can easily have you running on empty. It not only drains your energy reserves, it drastically and prematurely wears the body out!
This means that every single day you must take sufficient steps in order to preserve an ample supply.
Your threshold for handling stress successfully is a highly personal trait. How much pressure you can comfortably withstand depends on how much you allow for restoration.
It’s interesting to know it doesn’t matter if it happens to be “good” or “bad” stress that we experience…
As the pendulum swings in either direction, it still needs to be brought back to center for balance. The more severe, the more depleted your energy reserves and the more urgent your need for extra recovery time.
The basis of these invaluable deep breathing and relaxation techniques each will bring you the freedom in stress reduction and rejuvenation. Included are some deep muscle relaxation techniques as well.
Stress And Relaxation - The Proper Balance
Chances are you already rely on a few of your own “techniques” to relax and help unwind when you feel the need. Hopefully they adhere to the principles of well-being.
But what you think is releasing stress may be actually depleting energy…
Ever experience a fabulous vacation where upon returning home you need to recoup before getting back into full swing again?
Exactly!… That can result from having too much excitement and stimulus packed into too short amount of time. Without periods of slowing down some it can delay the recovery time and keep us from performing at our best!
Having a naturally healthy balance in activities solves the dilemma.
”What is without periods of rest will not endure”
It should also be noted that use of alcohol, tranquilizers and other depressants do not relieve stress. They merely cover up the symptoms.
Stress Relaxation Techniques
To serve as an antidote for all your life's stressors, here are some choices:
– an altered state of consciousness to quiet the mind concentrating on a single focus or mindfully observing all.
- Autogenic Relaxation – mental suggestions feeling heaviness and warmth
Progressive Muscle Relaxation
– meditative and progressive relaxation techniques using Edmund Jacobson's muscular tension and release method
– a deep breathing technique using your diaphragm
- Biofeedback – awareness through the use of special machines to monitor your response to stress
- Visualization or Guided Imagery Relaxation – imagining positive scenes in great detail to create a sense of reality
- Mindfulness Based Stress Reduction (MBSR) – an awareness of the present moment using breath as an anchor
- Yoga for relaxation - asana poses to relax and conserve the flow of energy from the body and restore what is being spent
A final note about stress reduction techniques...
Be aware of the need to slow down.
Appreciate where you are at and live in the moment. People today are constantly on the go, expending their energy trying to fit everything in – in the shortest amount of time.
"The time to relax is when you don't have time for it"
~Sydney J. Harris
It's all about controlling stress, and relaxation techniques will allow you to refresh from the simultaneous feeling of being both tired and wired.
In order to balance out those expenditures, be in tune with your energy rhythms. In time you will learn just when and what to adjust for a more stress free life.
Consequently, you will have more energy to spend – and recover faster when you spend it.
From Relaxation Techniques -
Return to: Essence Of Stress Relief - HOME PAGE